Date Palm Cake

There are some things I cook with the sole intention of posting them on the blog. But before I even finish cooking, they somehow vanish in a jiffy! 

So there is no time for photography — and sometimes, not even anything left to taste and check the final outcome. 😄

This is one such dish.

I have baked this cake at least 10 times, and every single time it has been wiped clean before I could even pick up the camera and start clicking.

Although it's every cook's delight to know that the food has been devoured, I'm always left a little disappointed that I didn't get any pictures for the blog.

So, you better be careful when you bake this one... it's likely to be finished long before the cake has even cooled down! 😄

I came across this recipe in a magazine, but I've altered it over time to suit my taste buds.

Apologies for the not-so-appealing picture. Trust me, though — no one can stop at just one piece!

Ingredients

  • Deseeded dates – 40
  • Sugar or jaggery – 1½ cups
  • Milk – 1½ cups
  • Cooking oil – 1 cup
  • All-purpose flour or wheat flour – 2 cups
  • Baking powder – ½ tsp
  • Baking soda – 1 tsp
  • Mixed nuts – optional

Baking Method

  1. In a microwave-safe bowl, add the dates and milk. Microwave for 2 minutes, or until the mixture is hot.

  2. Set aside and allow the mixture to cool completely.

  3. Grind the dates and milk mixture along with the sugar to a smooth paste.

  4. Add the cooking oil and blend once more.

  5. Sift together the flour, baking powder and baking soda.

  6. Gradually add the sifted flour mixture to the date puree, a little at a time, gently mixing until all the flour has been incorporated.

  7. If using mixed nuts, add them at this stage and mix well.

  8. Grease an oven-safe baking dish and pour in the cake batter.

  9. Preheat the oven to 180°C and bake for approximately 40 minutes, or until a knife or skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.

  10. Allow the cake to cool before slicing — if you can keep everyone away from it long enough! 😄




Comments