Thursday, April 2, 2020

Avial

Looking at the bright side of a pandemic, the benefits are many and great. Limiting travel gave a break to the environment, sky, air & our lungs. On the social side, the virus gave us an opportunity to reconnect with family & home. I am meditating both morning and evening & have started watching both sunrise & sunset, this helps me to compose myself.
Health wise, the virus reminded us again of the importance of health, personal hygiene, sterilisation, disinfectants and healthy eating.

Having said that, It's been almost 2 weeks since I've stepped out. I usually buy veggies every week. This time around since we knew there could be possible lockdown, I did buy a little extra but I've managed to exhaust all of them.

There was this last carrot, a couple of beans & some more of the last ones. These were not enough for anything & as I was raiding the fridge for every vegetable I could lay my hands on, My dear friend from Qatar called & I was complaining to her as to how I had no idea of what to cook, the malayalee in her was quick to say, you always have enough to make a Aviyal. That's so true you always have enough veggies to make a Avial, anything and everything can go into this dish.



Aviyal is a traditional Kerala dish of mixed vegetables, An important component of the Onam Sadya. I am not very sure about what all veggies go into the traditional recipe. Here in this recipe, I've used the veggies that was available at home. (No rules recipe :))

Ingredients 

Assorted veggies - Cut lengthwise (I used Carrot/Beans/Potato/Raw Plantain) - 3 Cups
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Water - 11/2 Cup

Grind
Pepper powder - 1/2 tsp
Grated Coconut - 1/2 cup
Green chilly - 3 to 4 (Depends on how spicy you like it)
Jeera - 1 tsp
Water - 2 Tsp

Plain Yogurt (whisked) - 1/4 Cup
Coconut oil - 2 tsp (Any oil of your choice)
Salt
Curry leaves

Cooking Method 

Grind all ingredients from pepper powder, coconut, chilly, jeera & water into a thick paste.
Cook the veggies with turmeric powder, water (1.5 cups) and salt, The veggies should have a crunch & not get mushy
Add the coconut paste.  Cover and cook till the raw taste of coconut paste is gone.
Add yogurt and mix well. Cook for 2 minutes more & finally add the coconut oil and curry leaves.

Note : 
- I have made it watery as this was the only dish I made for the day, Ideally this is more of a    accompaniment/side dish which is thick in consistency.
- Yoghurt is optional, you can alternatively add 1 tsp tamarind or lemon juice


No comments:

Post a Comment