Wheat Dosa / Kuli Paniyaram (Padu) with Bell Peppers


It takes me a year to find the time to draft a post. 😊 No, I am definitely not that busy — it's just that priorities change, and sometimes passion takes a back seat.

This blog has helped many people nurture their love for cooking. Most of all, it has helped me remember the recipes for the new dishes I put together.

I have been baking a lot lately, but my heart still goes back to South Indian food. This is comfort food for me. ❤️

This recipe is quick to put together and can be used in more than one way. You can make dosa or Kuli Paniyaram (Padu) using the same batter. Feel free to add or remove vegetables depending on what you have available. I had quite a few bell peppers to finish, so that's what went into mine.

Ingredients

For the batter

  • Wheat flour – 2 cups
  • Maida (all-purpose flour) – 1 cup
  • Rice flour – 3 tsp
  • Baking powder – 1 tsp
  • Salt – as required
  • Milk – ½ cup
  • Water – as required

For the vegetables and seasoning

  • Onion – 3 medium, finely chopped
  • Bell peppers – 1 each of yellow, red and green, finely chopped
  • Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
  • Chilli flakes – 1 tsp
  • Pepper powder – 1 tsp
  • Roasted peanuts – 2 tsp (optional)
  • Oil – as required
  • Ghee – as require

Cooking Method

  1. Sieve the wheat flour, maida, rice flour, baking powder and salt together.

  2. Add enough water to make a thick, creamy batter.

  3. Add the chopped onion, bell peppers, cumin seeds, chilli flakes, pepper powder and roasted peanuts. Mix well to make a smooth and colourful batter.

  4. Add the milk and mix well.

To make the Dosa

  1. Heat a tawa and spread the batter evenly.

  2. Drizzle a little oil or ghee around the dosa. (I added both! 😊)

  3. Cook on both sides until golden brown and cooked through.

  4. Serve hot with chutney powder or your favourite chutney.

To make Kuli Paniyaram / Padu

I turned some of the batter into Kuli Paniyaram (Padu). I actually prefer Padu's over dosa! ❤️

  1. Heat a Kuli Paniyaram pan and add a little ghee to each cavity.

  2. Pour the batter into the cavities.

  3. Cook until golden brown, then turn and cook the other side. Add a little more ghee while cooking for extra flavour and aroma.

The rice flour gives these a lovely crunch, making them crispy on the outside while remaining soft on the inside.















Cooking time: 30 minutes (including dosa / Padu making time)
Serves: 4


Comments

  1. Hi Preethi, just wanted you to know that since i am on maternity leave with surprisingly a lot of time on my hands, I decided to start cooking-hence back to your blog. Dont stop!
    Sonu

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment